ridm@nrct.go.th   ระบบคลังข้อมูลงานวิจัยไทย   รายการโปรดที่คุณเลือกไว้

Sources and distribution of organic matter in thirty five tropical estuaries along the west coast of India-a preliminary assessment

หน่วยงาน National Institute Of Oceanography (NIO), India

รายละเอียด

ชื่อเรื่อง : Sources and distribution of organic matter in thirty five tropical estuaries along the west coast of India-a preliminary assessment
นักวิจัย : Pradhan, U.K. , Wu, Y. , Shirodkar, P.V. , Zhang, J. , Zhang, G.
คำค้น : organic matter , sediment , biomarker , continental shelf
หน่วยงาน : National Institute Of Oceanography (NIO), India
ผู้ร่วมงาน : -
ปีพิมพ์ : 2557
อ้างอิง : Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, vol.151; 2014; 21-33 , http://drs.nio.org/drs/handle/2264/4640
ที่มา : -
ความเชี่ยวชาญ : -
ความสัมพันธ์ : -
ขอบเขตของเนื้อหา : -
บทคัดย่อ/คำอธิบาย :

Studies characterizing the sources of organic matter (OM) to the west coast of India (WCI) and its continental shelf are limited. This study examined sedimentary OM in 35 estuaries along the WCI using molecular biomarkers (lignin phenol), elemental ratio (C/N), and stable carbon isotope (delta13C) values. Multivariate statistical techniques, such as cluster analysis, identified similar sedimentary chemical properties among the estuaries and their distribution patterns highlight the strong control of geographical provenance on sedimentary OM composition from south to north along the WCI. Results of an end-member mixing model reveal that terrigenous sources (C3 plants, C4 plants, and soil) contribute ~80% of estuarine OM, with the remaining 20% derived from marine sources (marine plankton and estuarine macrophytes). In the estuaries of large rivers, such as the Narmada and Sabarmati rivers, C4 plants and soil OM were found to be the dominant contributors of OM, which is likely the result of an abundance of C4 vegetation and agriculture in their catchment areas. High OC (organic carbon content) of sediments (0.5-5%) from the WCI estuaries indicates that large amounts of OM are present in the sediments. The sources of OM (plant and soil) shift substantially throughout the study area, corresponding to changes in land use patterns along the Western Ghats. Sediments with low nitrogen contents (C/N > 15-20) and degraded lignin ((Ad/Al)V ¼ 0.4-0.6 and DHBA/V ¼ 0.16-0.34) were observed in all estuaries, indicating humification and/or degradation of OM originating from terrestrial plants (bio-degradation) and soil (de-mineralization). The collective results of this study illustrate the benefits of using biomarkers (lignin phenols) along with C/N and delta13C values for evaluating land use changes and the impacts of land use changes on aquatic ecosystems.

บรรณานุกรม :
Pradhan, U.K. , Wu, Y. , Shirodkar, P.V. , Zhang, J. , Zhang, G. . (2557). Sources and distribution of organic matter in thirty five tropical estuaries along the west coast of India-a preliminary assessment.
    : National Institute Of Oceanography (NIO), India.
Pradhan, U.K. , Wu, Y. , Shirodkar, P.V. , Zhang, J. , Zhang, G. . 2557. "Sources and distribution of organic matter in thirty five tropical estuaries along the west coast of India-a preliminary assessment".
    : National Institute Of Oceanography (NIO), India.
Pradhan, U.K. , Wu, Y. , Shirodkar, P.V. , Zhang, J. , Zhang, G. . "Sources and distribution of organic matter in thirty five tropical estuaries along the west coast of India-a preliminary assessment."
    : National Institute Of Oceanography (NIO), India, 2557. Print.
Pradhan, U.K. , Wu, Y. , Shirodkar, P.V. , Zhang, J. , Zhang, G. . Sources and distribution of organic matter in thirty five tropical estuaries along the west coast of India-a preliminary assessment. : National Institute Of Oceanography (NIO), India; 2557.